Facebook Streaming Requirements
Facebook can be configured in 2 ways. In this article you'll learn how to create a stream at any page you manage and how to connect Facebook Events. Restream Chat will not work with manually connected Facebook.
Important: We strongly recommend to follow the Facebook streaming requirements, otherwise we do not guarantee the proper work for this service.
- Facebook accepts video in maximum 720p (1280 x 720) resolution,
- 30 frames per second,
- Key frame interval 2 seconds,
- Maximum bitrate 4000 Kbps.
- Titles must be less than 255 characters otherwise the stream will fail.
- H264 encoded video and AAC encoded audio only.
- 480-Minute (8 hours) maximum length, except continuous live (Learn More).
Note: 480 minutes is the maximum length for preview streams (either through Live dialog or publisher tools). After 480 minutes, a new stream key must be generated. You can choose
continious streamining on Facebook which will allow your stream to last more than 480 minutes but your video will not be saved by Facebook
- Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square.
- Frame Types: Progressive Scan.
- Audio Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz.
- Audio Bitrate: 128 Kbps stereo.
- Bitrate Encoding: CBR.
Setting up Facebook Scheduled post with Restream
1. At your Facebook page create a new post and choose who will see it.
2. Expand the menu of post type selection.
3. Select Live Video.
4. Select a "Connect" tab on top of the page.
5. Fill your Stream Details into the spaces provided: Post, Title, Game, etc.
6. Schedule time for the post to go live at using a button in the bottom right corner.
7. After you finish, go to Restream.io and chose "Custom platform" from the bottom of the "Add Channel" list.
6. Paste the Server URL and Stream Key you received from Facebook in the spaces provided.
TIP: The Facebook Server URL goes into our RTMP URL space.
7. Click on "Add Channel."
8. Start streaming a few minutes before a time you've set at Facebook and it will go live automatically.
Setting up Facebook with Restream
Important: You will have to do this process each time you wish to go live with Facebook unless you have access to Facebook Persistent Stream Key Option in which case please use this article https://support.restream.io/en/articles/1558885-facebook-persistent-stream-key.
1. Head over to Facebook's Streaming Setup website and press a "Create Live Stream" button
2. Select a "Connect" tab on top of the page.
3. Fill your Stream Details into the spaces provided: Post, Title, Game, etc.
4. After that, select where your stream will appear on Facebook.
8. Once you are Live on Restream, you will see your Stream Pop up on the Facebook Stream Page we were using earlier. Once you see your stream, choose "Go Live"
TIP: The Go Live button remains disabled until a valid stream from the encoding software is detected. If you receive a "Stream is offline" message, make sure you have started streaming from your encoding software. If you still have issues, check the server url and/or stream key were copied correctly. You can reference the server url and key anytime in the tab.
For more information, please check out Facebook's Setting up Guide.
Tip: It is crucial that you set your Key Frame interval to "2" within your Broadcast software when streaming to Facebook; if you don't set you Key Frame to "2" your stream on Facebook will appear as a black screen.
Pro Tip: Check out this awesome guide if you want to improve your live streaming skills!
Have more questions?
Click here to head to our Knowledge base search engine.
Would like to learn some tricks from the community?
Please join our Discord.
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the Restream Support team via our Live Chat.