Whether you are trying to see the chat on top of a video game or on top of anything on a single display, you can make these changes to allow for seamless viewing.
Important Note: For both Mac and PC, the chat cannot be placed on top of full-screen applications due to software limitations. For games please use windowed-fullscreen or windowed-borderless instead of fullscreen.
1) You will need the Restream Chat application to follow these steps as they do not correspond with the in-browser version. The steps would be the same for both macOS and Windows.
2) To begin, you want to go into the Restream Chat's settings by clicking "Settings" at the bottom right.
3) Then click "Appearance" from the popup.
4) You will be brought to the Appearance section of that chat and everything we need will be here.
5) From here, you will want to enable "Window Always On Top".
6) It is recommended to enable "Click Through Mode" as well, this will make it so you can click in the same region as the chat and not interact with the chat.
Note: If you enable "Click Through Mode" you have to hold down Control (on Windows) or Command (on Mac) to interact with the chat again in order to access settings, respond, and proceed with any chat function.
To disable these settings just uncheck the applicable box.
In case Click Through Mode doesn't work for you, please update Visual Basic C++ vcredist. You can do it following this article.
Additional options (Windows)
For some games, additional manipulations are needed to make them work with the chat overlay. The following part is applicable to Windows games only:
If your game does not support Windowed Fullscreen mode but still supports Windowed mode, there's an application called Borderless Gaming. You can download it from a repository at GitHub (9.5.1) or buy it on Steam. This application will allow you to switch any game to the windowed fullscreen mode by clicking the "borderless" button.
If your game still comes back in front of your chat while you click it after setting it to windowed fullscreen, try removing the "always on top" setting for it. One of the ways of doing this is downloading and running AlwaysOnTopMaker and pressing Ctrl+Alt+T while the game is in focus. Any other application that allows setting and unsetting the "always on top" option will also be able to help you with the game overlapping the chat.
For older games, there's another tool called DXWnd. It will allow you to run old titles on modern hardware, and also will provide you with a way to launch those games in windowed mode. Click with a Right Mouse Button in the main window of an app, select "Add", and give the tool a path to your old game. Make sure that the "Run in Window" option is enabled, then click OK and launch it from the main window of DXWnd.
👉 Next steps
👍 Keep exploring
Would you like to learn some tricks from the community?
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the Restream Support team via our 24/7 Live Chat.