Note: You do not need Transcoding in order to stream to Restream.
Transcoding is a Restream feature that allows you to downgrade the quality of specific connected channels/platforms, without affecting the rest of your streams. This can be useful for using with platforms like Periscope, which have low bitrate caps.
Transcoding will allow you to have a real high-quality stream for platforms that allow and still be able to stream to the platforms which have lower requirements and your stream will not be denied by their systems.
Transcoding hours can be easily purchased here.
Why does Transcoding need to be purchased by the hour?
Stream transcoding is a very server intensive and expensive process.
How to setup Transcoding
1. Open Restream Dashboard. Press the Edit button beside the channel that you would like to be transcoded.
2. Click on the "Transcoding". You will get a pop-out window, where you need to turn it "on" and input the settings you wish to downgrade your stream for that specific channel
Tip: By clicking on already enabled you can disable it or change the settings.
4. Hit "Save" to apply the changes. And when you start the stream your enabled channels will be transcoded to fit the end platform.
Tip: Make sure to stream in the bitrate and quality you wish all non-transcode channels to receive!
Do not enter a higher bitrate than you are streaming into the Transcoding options!
How are Transcoding Hours shared between channels?
They are divided! For example, if you've purchased 5 hours of Transcoding, and only use one channel, you will be able to stream for 5 hours. However, if you choose to stream to two transcoding channels, then you will be able to stream to 2.5 hours. (2.5 to the first channel, and 2.5 to the second channel.)
How much delay is added by using Transcoding?
So far during our tests, we see an average of 2-3 seconds added when using transcoding. This isn't affected by how many channels are using it.
Does the Pro plan include Transcoding?
No. Transcoding feature is not included in paid plans and needs to be purchased separately.
👉 Next steps
- Check our blog post about transcoding!
- Guided flow to start streaming with Restream
- Channel Setup Guides
- Learn about Restream pricing
👍 Keep exploring
- Downgrade the quality of specific connected channels, without affecting the rest of your streams
- Learn about Fail Safe Stream Backup
Have more questions?
Click here to head to our Knowledge base search engine.
Would like to learn some tricks from the community?
Please join our Discord.
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the Restream Support team via our Live Chat.