If you have issues using your camera in Restream Studio and get a "Permission Denied" or "The camera is used by another app" error, we may not have permission to use your webcam in your web browser. Below we have some steps to take based on our requirements and supported browsers.
In this article, we will cover:
⚙️ Restream Studio Requirements
Recommended browsers: the latest versions of Firefox or Google Chrome.
Some browser extensions can often prevent Restream Studio from functioning correctly (i.e., Adblock or anything similar). If you are facing issues, try temporarily disabling your extensions or attempting to access Restream from an incognito window on your preferred browser.
While mobile devices are supported, there are certain limitations (e.g., screen sharing). We encourage using a computer directly wired to the internet for the best experience.
🧐 Missing Permissions Error
1. When you first try and launch Restream Studio, Google Chrome should prompt you and ask if you want to grant Restream access to your webcam and microphone.
❗️For Studio to work, you need to click “Allow mic/cam access” and then "Allow" on the Chrome pop-up.
2. If you’re not seeing this prompt, there should be a camera or microphone icon in the URL bar of Google Chrome. Click that icon and make sure you are allowing Restream access to your webcam and microphone. After allowing the permissions, click "Done" in the prompt and refresh the Studio page.
💡 Alternatively, click on "Manage" in the above pop-up and access Studio's permissions under your Chrome settings.
1. When you first load Restream Studio, Firefox will ask if you want to grant Camera and Microphone access to Restream. Click “Allow” in the pop-up, and Restream Studio will begin to work.
💡 Try refreshing the page and checking if this prompt is not showing.
2. If the prompt is still not there or if you accidentally blocked the camera the first time you launched Restream on Firefox, click the camera icon in the URL bar and make sure to remove any blocks like the ones shown below by clicking on "X". If you refresh the page, you should then get the pop-up asking you to allow permissions.
1. The first time you open Restream Studio on Safari, you will see this pop-up to allow access to your camera.
2. If you don't have camera access, check Safari Preferences and make sure you allow studio.restream.io to access the Microphone and Camera.
3. If none of the above helps, you can clear the browser cache for Restream and refresh or restart the browser to access Studio again. Permissions are reset now, so you will be asked to grant permissions once more.
🧐 The camera is being used by another app
If you see the following message, it usually means that your camera is currently being used by a different application that is running on your device.
1. Make sure you close any other application running in the background and using your camera (such apps as OBS, Zoom, etc.).
2. Then restart your browser and access Restream Studio.
💡 If you have an advanced setup with an external DSLR camera, make sure to check out our blog post for useful tips and tricks:
👉 Next steps
👍 Keep exploring
Would you like to learn some tricks from the community?
Join our Facebook Community and Twitter.
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the Restream Support team via our 24/7 Live Chat.