Facebook Live is a fantastic way of connecting to your pre-existing friends on Facebook while also capturing the attention of Facebook Viewers from all over the world. We are working hard to add Facebook Live to our platform list, however, currently, it is only available through the use of Custom RTMP, one of our extra features.
Facebook Streaming Requirements
- Facebook accepts video in maximum 720p (1280 x 720) resolution, at 30 frames per second. (or 1 keyframe every 2 seconds).
- You must send an I-frame (keyframe) at least once every two seconds throughout the stream.
- Recommended max bit rate is 4000 Kbps.
- Titles must be less than 255 characters otherwise the stream will fail.
- The Live API accepts H264 encoded video and AAC encoded audio only.
- 240 minute maximum length, with the exception of continuous live (see above).
- 240 minute maximum length for preview streams (either through Live dialog or publisher tools). After 240 minutes, a new stream key must be generated.
- Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square.
- Frame Types: Progressive Scan.
- Audio Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz.
- Audio Bitrate: 128 Kbps stereo.
- Bitrate Encoding: CBR.
Setting up Facebook with Restream
1. Head over to Facebook's Streaming Setup website
2. Click "Create Live Stream" - Then Choose where you wish the Stream to Appear on Facebook.
For this tutorial, we will choose "Share on your Timeline"
3. Enter your Title and Description, then copy your Server URL and Stream Key
4. Chose "Custom platform" from the list of platforms at Restream.
5. Paste the Server URL into the RTMP URL slot on Restream, then paste the Stream Key in the Stream Key slot.
6. Click on "Add Channel" and go live from your encoder.
7. Once you are Live on Restream, you will see your Stream Pop up on the Facebook Stream Page we were using above. Once you see your stream, choose "Go Live"
8. At the end of your stream choose "End Video Stream"
Info: You will have to do this process each time you wish to go live with Facebook, this is because the way Facebook works.
For more information, please check out Facebook's Setting up Guide.
Tip: It is important that you set your Key Frame interval to "2" within your Broadcast software when streaming to Facebook. If you don't set you Key Frame to "2" your stream on Facebook will appear as a black screen.
Have more questions?
Click here to head to our Knowledgebase search engine.
Would like to learn some tricks from the community?
Please join our Discord.
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the Restream Support team via our Live Chat.