Facebook Streaming Requirements
- Facebook accepts video in maximum 720p (1280 x 720) resolution, at 30 frames per second. (or 1 keyframe every 2 seconds).
- You must send an I-frame (keyframe) at least once every two seconds throughout the stream.
- Recommended max bit rate is 4000 Kbps.
- Titles must be less than 255 characters otherwise the stream will fail.
- The Live API accepts H264 encoded video and AAC encoded audio only.
- 240-Minute maximum length, except continuous live (Learn More).
- 240-Minute maximum length for preview streams (either through Live dialog or publisher tools). After 240 minutes, a new stream key must be generated.
- Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square.
- Frame Types: Progressive Scan.
- Audio Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz.
- Audio Bitrate: 128 Kbps stereo.
- Bitrate Encoding: CBR.
Setting up Facebook with Restream
Info: You will have to do this process each time you wish to go live with Facebook unless you have access to Facebook Persistent Stream Key Option in which case please use this article https://support.restream.io/streaming-services/facebook-persistent-stream-key
1. Head over to Facebook's Streaming Setup website and press a "Create Live Stream" button
2. Select a "Connect" tab on top of the page.
3. Fill your Stream Details into the spaces provided: Post, Title, Game, etc.
4. After that, select where your stream will appear on Facebook.
5. Go to Restream.io and chose "Custom platform" from the bottom of the "Add Channel" list.
6. Paste the Server URL and Stream Key you received from Facebook in the spaces provided.
TIP: The Facebook Server URL goes into our RTMP URL space.
7. Click on "Add Channel" and go live from your encoder.
8. Once you are Live on Restream, you will see your Stream Pop up on the Facebook Stream Page we were using earlier. Once you see your stream, choose "Go Live"
TIP: The Go Live button remains disabled until a valid stream from the encoding software is detected. If you receive a "Stream is offline" message, make sure you have started streaming from your encoding software. If you still have issues, check the server url and/or stream key were copied correctly. You can reference the server url and key anytime in the tab.
For more information, please check out Facebook's Setting up Guide.
Tip: It is crucial that you set your Key Frame interval to "2" within your Broadcast software when streaming to Facebook; if you don't set you Key Frame to "2" your stream on Facebook will appear as a black screen.
Have more questions?
Click here to head to our Knowledgebase search engine.
Would like to learn some tricks from the community?
Please join our Discord.
Can't find the right answer?
Contact the Restream Support team via our Live Chat.